Terms of Service
Digital Scholar is available to all current U of R faculty and students with active NetIDs. Alumni and other affiliated members of the University of Rochester community are not eligible for this service. Your account will be closed 3 months after graduation or leaving the university. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information on archiving or migrating content.
Responsibility for Content
Each account is associated with a person’s University of Rochester NetID. This specified “primary owner” is solely responsible for the information posted through Digital Scholar. While only the primary owner has administrative access to the account, the owner may give others (including non-University of Rochester users) access to edit the websites created within the account. For example, if the owner is creating an Omeka site, they can create user accounts within the Omeka dashboard so that others can contribute to the Omeka site. In addition, the primary owner can make sites offered through this Web Hosting Pilot visible to the public or make them private by limiting access to specific individuals who also are eligible to participate in this Service.
Creation of sites may involve incorporation of original works of third parties (e.g., literature, photographs, music, software, film, and video works) that are covered by copyright laws. Primary site owners and contributing users are responsible for obtaining all permissions that may be necessary to incorporate works of third parties in their site. Use of such works may be permitted by principles of fair use, consistent with copyright laws (see University of Rochester Libraries’ Copyright and Fair Use Guide).
Do not collect or display sensitive information on your account or associated sites. You should never create content that contains or collects information that is restricted under University of Rochester’s SSN/PII Policy. On occasion, protected data may be added to the Web Hosting site but only after permission to collect or display this data is requested and received from the appropriate department. At all times, you should ensure that all appropriate safeguards are in place (access restriction, etc.) before any site is deployed.
Features and Defaults
- Changes to the Service: University of Rochester Libraries may make changes to the Digital Scholar service during at any time.
- Storage Quotas: faculty will receive an initial storage quota of 5Gb while students will receive 500Mb. If these limits are reached please contact email@example.com for information on archiving, compressing or deleting content.
- Customization and Technical Support: The Digital Scholar environment allows a certain degree of customization by account owners. Primary owners have FTP and command line access to their accounts, meaning they have the ability to install and customize themes, plugins, modify the underlying databases, etc., within the restrictions of the overall Digital Scholar environment. However, primary owners take responsibility for their accounts and sites. Support is available for basic technical issues (e.g. assistance resetting passwords, resolving network outages), via our User Support page. The University will not provide technical support for issues related to customizations made to your sites (e.g., troubleshooting database design, fixing coding or scripting problems, customizing themes, PHP or CSS modification).
- Archives: Prior to leaving the University community (and losing access to Web Hosting), you may export your content or choose to delete it. Content, sites and data will not be archived once you are no longer associated with the University of Rochester.
- Retention: All sites on Digital Scholar will remain on the Service until:
- Your storage quota has been exceeded (see above for quota limits)
- the primary owner is no longer an affiliate or eligible for Digital Scholar (see Eligibility above). (Note: All sites must have a primary owner. If a site does not have a primary owner, the Digital Scholar team takes appropriate action for removing the site or identifying a new site owner.)
- The primary owner requests the site be removed
- The site is in violation of any part of the Digital Scholar Terms of Service.
Availability of the Digital Scholar service may be interrupted for maintenance and other updates and is provided on an ‘as is’ and ‘as available’ basis only.